Tuesday, June 15, 2010

how to make sugared flowers...

I have something new to add to a list of blissful things!


Edible sugared flowers!!


This week I had the joy of trying a new project! I have heard of candying (sugaring) edible flowers for a while but I had never got around to trying it. With the convience of the exact flowers I needed growing in our front yard (very handy!) I decided to give it a try! Now, I will share with you how to make them...

First: Cut the stem on Pansies as close to the petals, without completely breaking the flower. Lay the cut Pansies on parchment paper. Now, try one of the un-sugared flowers (to me, they taste a lot like spinach).

Second: Beat egg white, until well blended but not stiff. Use a small brush to spread the egg whites in a thin layer over each flower, this is very tedious work.

Third: Use a sifter to sprinkle the white sugar onto the flowers. Sprinkle until well coated. Let sit in room temperature for 24 hours before eating, or make one week prior to use for baking.

Sugared flowers are great for decorating baked goods.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome,

thanks for sharing can't wait to try one :)

love,
Anna